Have you been struggling in your career life? Want useful tips and guide on how to enhance your career? We chatted with Shelby Ivey Christie of BronzeBombshell.com on useful tips, advice and strategies for growing in our careers.
She also shared mistakes we make in our 20s, how to stand out in the workplace and making connections to take our career to the next level.
Strategies that will help to boost your career
- Create goals and have mentors who will hold you accountable.
- Don't be afraid to network and nurture relationships. Your mentors don't have to be in your field.
- Make valuable connections with people who share your business and career goals.
Important Lessons to Learn from Failure
Tips on Leaving Dead-End Jobs
How to Make the Most of Dead-End Jobs and Your Time
- Volunteer your time. Free work can open lots of doors which may open doors for you professionally.
- Work on your dreams while working that job. So one day your dream become your job.
- Do a career audit. Evaluate where you are vs where you want to be and take steps to close the gap.
Importance of Having Accountability Partners and Staying Connected
- Join organisations related to your industry so you can meet people who are heavily involved. Peers can be GREAT mentors!
- Also, join organisations outside your concentration to become well-rounded and network with others.
- Seek out mentors who have similar career goals, common interests and a problem you can solve. Seek to OFFER first, instead of take.
- Linkedin will work wonders! Don't just accept or send request to connect. Actually connect + reach out. Maybe do coffee!
- Have people around you who are going to keep you challenged, encouraged and accountable.
Takeaways You Shouldn't Miss
- State where you want to go and ask what you need to do to get there.
- Don't be too focused on vertical movement. Not every opportunity has to be bigger and better than the last. Focus on growing not titles.
What are you key takeaways on growing in your career? What are some practical approaches you have used to get promoted, increase your salary and leverage your network.
Do you have any topic in mind that you would to see us explore? Or would you like to be a guest? Also, should you have any comments or suggestions on how we can make the chats more engaging, send us a message via our contact form.
Also, join us monthly for our #FWTWChat Twitter Chats at 8 PM (ET). See schedule of upcoming chats.